Saturday 20 August 2011

We don't live in a jigsaw puzzle.

So today, I was having a conversation with one of my friends about how we want to meet One Direction & JLS. She happens to be a big One Direction fan & I'm the big JLS fan (as you may already know). We were talking about how we will go to book signings and things to meet them and then she mentioned something which really made me think, it was actually quite sad to think about. You see, she wears a head scarf. She mentioned how she would feel 'awkward' if we went to try and meet the bands. I replied with 'but why?' without thinking properly and she said 'because I wear a scarf'. Part of me was shocked that she would feel awkward just because she wears a scarf but I totally understood her feelings.

I myself don't wear a scarf and when I see people wearing one it seems normal because it is part of my religion. I have nothing but respect for them. This is why I was shocked when my friend said this. It is normal for me to see her wearing a scarf. I see her all the time and if she came out without a scarf I would be shocked. But why should wearing a scarf make her feel awkward? It is part of her religion. People should have nothing but respect for that. I am a big believer in respecting other people's cultures because we do live in a multi-cultural society. We need to welcome different cultures with open arms. If we didn't wouldn't we get bored? Although I do have a religion, I'm always open to new ideas from different cultures. For example, I wear clothes from shops such as TopShop/New Look(western culture) but I also wear clothes from my own eastern culture but with a modern twist. My prom dress is a great example of this.

I would never look at someone and judge them on what they are wearing. O.K I may look at someone's outfit and say 'oh that's nice' or 'oh I don't like that' but I will never judge the person wearing those clothes. A headscarf is like a piece of clothing or a hair clip. Just because it's there, it doesn't mean you need to point it out. You wouldn't make someone feel awkward if they wore a mickey mouse t-shirt so why make a person feel awkward if they are wearing a head scarf?

At the end of the day, we don't live in a jigsaw puzzle and not everyone fits in with each other but when you were a child, you would have tried to make each jigsaw piece fit into each other wouldn't you? So what's stopping us from trying to make everyone feel like they fit in now?

Appreciating differences within society is often overlooked and many people begin to label people on what they look like. We need to realize that yes, everyone is different and why is that? It's because we are unique. We don't question each other's DNA so why question what we wear or what we look like?

I hope this made sense. I'm not sure it did, but surely you must understand my point by now. Feeling like a social outcast is a terrible feeling so don't make anyone feel like that.

In the words of Jessie J, Nobody's Perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment